Head of Policy & Programmes
Carlyn joined BIHR in 2018 as a Human Rights Officer, progressing to Senior Human Rights Officer, then Policy and Programmes Manager, being made Head of Policy and Programmes in 2022.
Carlyn is a human rights policy professional with over 10 years’ experience operationalising human rights in the commissioning, planning and delivery of public services across the UK.
What Carlyn brings to BIHR:
- Expert in embedding and supporting others to embed a human rights approach within public policy and practice across the UK.
- Expert in involving people, communities, and public bodies in policy reform, bringing these groups together to complete human rights analysis based on lived experience.
- Human Rights Act expertise, specifically the legal duties which sit on public bodies and how this works in devolved administrations.
- Knowledgeable about public policy, specifically health and social care policy at UK level and within devolved administrations.
- Committed to ensuring and evidencing that as Head of Policy and Programmes, our work at BIHR meets the human rights principles of participation, accountability, non-discrimination, empowerment, and legality.
Prior to her time at BIHR, Carlyn was a National Project Lead at the Scottish Government supporting the implementation of Self-Directed Support across Scotland. Prior to this she worked for Scottish Care as a Human Rights Project Lead for Residential Care, Care at Home and Housing Support. Carlyn has also worked on human rights issues internationally, including in Ghana, Malawi, India, and Nepal.
Carlyn holds a First-Class MA Joint Honours in Politics and International Relations and an MSc Distinction in Human Rights and International Politics from the University of Glasgow; where she wrote an award-winning thesis on the rights of marginalised groups in the UK. Carlyn also holds a Level 5 in Professional Consultancy from Challenges Worldwide.
Get our newsletter
Get monthly updates on UK human rights law and our work, resources and events sent straight to your inbox.